The Office for National Statistics has released the data for the most popular baby names for 2019. So, what are the headlines?
- Oliver and Olivia remained the most popular name for boys and girls in England and Wales.
- Freya and Lily replaced Emily and Ella in the top 10 girls’ names, while there were no new entries in the top 10 boys’ names in 2019.
- Alfred, Chester, Hudson, Ibrahim and Oakley entered the 2019 top 100 boys’ names replacing Alex, Dexter, Dominic, Kai, Sonny and Tobias.
- Lara and Mabel replaced Aisha and Francesca in the top 100 girls’ names; Mabel has not been in the top 100 since 1924
Alright. What are the Top Ten Names for 2019? (Cue the countdown music here…)
- Lily (one ‘L’ in the middle)
And the top names chosen in Southend on Sea in 2019 were…. (drum roll) Amelia and Noah.
All of the data is here.
Really interesting to look at the differences between England and Wales – Willow for a girl’s name snuck into the Top Ten for Wales only- and to look at the areas and ages of the parents. No entries for Elvis in the Top 100, though….The King will be disappointed.